Starting July 1, 2019, eligible drivers with MVA fines issued as a result of not having insurance prior to December 1, 2016 may participate in Maryland’s Insurance Debt Reduction Program. GEBCO has worked with the state of Maryland to help bring relief to these uninsured drivers and help them get back out on the road.
This limited-time discount program allows eligible Marylanders to have up to 75% off their existing uninsured driver penalties waived by obtaining insurance and keeping this policy for a specific timeframe.
Are you unsure if you qualify for the program? GEBCO can help! Call us today at 1-800-GO-GEBCO (464-3226) or visit any of our locations near you.
Do I qualify for the Maryland Insurance Debt Reduction Program?
A driver is eligible to participate in the program if they meet all of these eligibility requirements:
- Be a resident of Maryland
- Own a vehicle that does not have the required insurance or purchase a vehicle after enrolling in the program
- Have uninsured vehicle penalties that were delinquent on or before December 1, 2016
- Not have a judgment issued by the Department of Budget and Management’s Central Collection Unit (CCU) for the outstanding fine
How do I enroll in the uninsured driver fine reduction program?
One way to participate in the program is by following these steps:
- Visit a State of Maryland Department of Budget and Management Central Collections Unit office starting July 1, 2019 to sign up for the program and make an initial payment.
- Pay the remaining balance of the outstanding fines and a CCU collection fee. Aside from full payments, monthly payments of up to six months are accepted.
- Purchase insurance and keep the coverage for six months if the amount of fines being waived through the debt reduction program is below $3,000. If the penalty is above that amount, then coverage must be maintained for a year.
Those who default on the agreement by either failing to pay the discounted penalty plus collection fee, or not keeping the insurance policy in force for the specified timeframe, will be required to pay the full amount of the outstanding fine.
Is there a better way to take part in the penalty reduction program?
We’re happy you asked.
Before you stand in line at the MVA, make sure to contact your local GEBCO Agent first. We can collect that premium/take payments at our locations for you. You’ll save time, effort and resources that you can spend on more important matters. At GEBCO, your convenience and peace of mind is our top priority.